Image description: This 1968 EX-1A Apollo Applications Project spacesuit is part of the “Suited for Space” traveling exhibit which explores the design and innovation inside a spacesuit.
The exhibit is on a 13 city tour across the U.S. until 2015. Find out if the exhibit is coming to a city near you.
Photos by Mark Avino, Smithsonian’s National Air and Space Museum and Ron Cunningham.
Image description: Scientists from the Smithsonian Institute discovered a new species of mammal — the olinguito — the first carnivore species to be discovered in either North America or South America in 35 years.
According to the Smithsonian:
The olinguito is the smallest member of the raccoon family. It has thick, woolly fur that is denser and more colorful (orange or reddish brown) than its closest relatives, the olingos. Its head and body length is 14 inches long (355 mm), plus a tail 13-17 inches in length (335-425 mm), and it weighs 2 pounds (900 grams). Males and females are similar in size.
DIET: The olinguito mainly eats fruit, but may also eat some insects and nectar.
BEHAVIOR: These solitary animals live in trees and are mostly nocturnal. It is an adept jumper that can leap from tree to tree in the forest canopy. Mothers raise a single baby at a time.
HABITAT: The olinguito is found only in cloud forests of the northern Andes Mountains
RANGE: Ecuador and Colombia, at high elevations (5,000 to 9,000 feet above sea level).
Learn more about decades of research that went into the discovering the olinguito.
Image from the Smithsonian.
Image description: Although 75% of the planet is a relatively unchanging ocean of blue, the remaining 25% of Earth’s surface is a dynamic green. The darkest green areas are the lushest in vegetation, while the pale colors are sparse in vegetation cover either due to snow, drought, rock, or urban areas. Data from the NASA/NOAA Suomi NPP satellite is able to detect these subtle differences in greenness.
View and download more images and video animations of vegetation on Earth.
Image from NASA/NOAA.
Image description: The Muon g-2 (pronounced gee minus two) is an experiment that will use the Fermilab accelerator complex to create an intense beam of muons – a type of subatomic particle – traveling at nearly the speed of light. The experiment is picking up after a previous muon experiment at Brookhaven National Laboratory, which concluded in 2001.
In this photo, the massive electromagnet is beginning its 3,200-mile journey from the woods of Long Island to the plains near Chicago, where scientists at Fermilab will refill its storage ring with muons created at Fermilab’s Antiproton Source. The 50-foot-diameter ring is made of steel, aluminum and superconducting wire. It will travel down the East Coast, around the tip of Florida, and up the Mississippi River to Fermilab in Illinois. Transporting the 600-ton magnet requires meticulous precision – just a tilt or a twist of a few degrees could leave the internal wiring irreparably damaged.
Learn more about the Muon g-2 experiment, or follow regular updates on the electromagnet’s location.
Photo courtesy of Brookhaven National Laboratory. Image description from Energy.gov.