The J.M. Smucker Company today announced a limited voluntary recall on two specific Best-If-Used-By dates of 16 oz. Smucker’s® Natural Peanut Butter Chunky because it may be contaminated with Salmonella, an organism that can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems.
The affected product, which is packaged in 16 oz. jars, is as follows:
- UPC: 5150001701 (located on the side of the jar’s label below the bar code)
- Production Codes: 1307004 and 1308004
- Best-If-Used-By dates: August 3, 2012 and August 4, 2012
- Chunky product only (not creamy)
- Impacted product would have been purchased between November 8 - 17, 2011
No other products of The J.M. Smucker Company are affected by this recall.
No illnesses related to this issue have been reported and the product is being recalled out of an abundance of caution for consumer safety.
Consumers who have purchased Smucker’s Natural Peanut Butter Chunky with the above Production Code and Best-If-Used-By dates are urged to discard the product immediately and call the company at 1-888-550-9555 for a replacement coupon.
Learn more about this recall from the Food and Drug Administration.