News From Our Blog

How to Renew Your Passport Book or Card

If you’re thinking about planning a trip abroad over the holidays, you and your family will need to have updated passports.

All individuals, regardless of age, must have their own passport to travel internationally.

Renew your passport approximately nine months before it expires. Certain countries require passports to remain valid for up to six months after your trip. Some airlines do not allow you to board if you don’t meet this requirement.

You cannot renew your passport if any of the following are true, but must apply for a new one in person instead:

  • Your current passport was issued before your 16th birthday
  • Your current passport was lost or stolen; report the loss or theft
  • You meet any other condition that requires you to get a passport in person

Renew your U.S. passport:

Contact the National Passport Information Center (NPIC) for assistance and/or information:

If you need a rush renewal or new passport, find a location near you.

Asked by Anonymous

Does my minor son need a passport to enter into Canada?

All minors regardless of age, including newborns and infants, must have their own passport when traveling internationally by air. If traveling by land or sea, minors under the age of 16 may be able to present a U.S. birth certificate instead of a passport. 

Learn more about passport requirements for minors.

Going Abroad? Get Your Passport on Passport Day

Winter travelers, spring break planners, day trippers to Toronto, and even those planning on attending the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, crack open your passport book for the third annual “Passport Day in the USA” on Saturday, September 17. On Passport Day you can travel to the nearest passport agency or acceptance facility and apply right away.

Although U.S. passport books and passport cards for adults are valid for 10 years, check the expiration date. Some countries require your passport to be valid for up to six months beyond the date of your stay.

Without the proper validity, you may not be able to board the plane or could even risk being denied entry into the country. To avoid any last minute headaches, confirm that the kids are also ready to go. Passports for children under the age of sixteen expire after five years.

Passport Day in the USA makes it easy to apply for a passport. No appointment is necessary, and both routine and expedited processing services will be available. Visit to find an agency or participating passport acceptance facility near you, or call the National Passport Information Center toll-free at 1-877-487-2778 or TDD/TTY at 1-888-874-7793.