News From Our Blog

Were You Brought Into the United States as a Child? Here’s What You Need To Know

Certain children who were brought to the United States may be eligible to remain in the country and get a work authorization permit. They will need to meet certain requirements and complete a background check.

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is the agency in charge of setting up an application process. It should be up and running sometime in mid-August. Meanwhile, don’t apply or your application will be rejected.

USCIS recommends you follow these tips:


  • Visit to learn more about the announcement, eligibility criteria and to find the latest updates.
  • Contact USCIS for more information at 1-800-375-5283.
  • Visit to learn more about how you can avoid becoming a victim of an immigration service scam.


  • Pay anyone who claims they can request deferred action on your behalf or apply for employment authorization through this new process before USCIS announces an implementation date.
  • Send an application seeking work authorization related to this process.

Visit USCIS for more information about the program or call 1-800-375-5283. They can answer your questions in English or Spanish.

Law Grants Automatic Citizenship to Some Children Born Abroad

Most U.S. citizens acquire citizenship by being born in the U.S., or through a process called naturalization. However, there are certain people born abroad who can acquire citizenship automatically.

The Child Citizenship Act of 2000 grants automatic citizenship to the biological and adopted children of parents who are U.S. citizens.

How to Get Automatic Citizenship

The Child Citizenship Act of 2000 generally benefits children who were born outside the United States, are under 18 years of age and have at least one parent who is a U.S. citizen.

To qualify for automatic U.S. citizenship, a child must:

  • Meet the definition of “child” under immigration law.
  • Be under 18 years of age.
  • Have at least one parent who is a U.S. citizen by birth or through naturalization.
  • Reside in the United States under the legal and physical custody of the parent who is a U.S. citizen.
  • Be a lawful permanent resident.

If the child is legally adopted, he or she must meet all adoption requirements under immigration law.

“Because citizenship law has changed over the years, if the person is now over 18 years of age, USCIS looks to the relevant law that was in effect before the child turned 18 to decide if the person acquired U.S. citizenship,” said Mariana Gitomer, an officer with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

How to Prove You Are a Citizen

A qualified child does not need to file an application to establish U.S. citizenship, but the child will need a certificate of citizenship, which can be obtained by filing form N-600. This will ensure that all the requirements for citizenship have been met.

Once the form has been filed, an immigration officer will determine if an interview is necessary. If so, the applicant must meet with an officer and bring:

  • All original documents of the copies submitted when filing form N-600.
  • Any additional documents that will establish if the child qualifies for citizenship.
  • Certified translation of documents not originally in English.

How to Get More Information

These are the general requirements, but some unique situations may require additional steps. For more information contact the USCIS National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283 or visit

Our nation’s immigration laws must be enforced in a firm and sensible manner, but they are not designed to be blindly enforced without consideration given to the individual circumstances of each case. Nor are they designed to remove productive young people to countries where they may not have lived or even speak the language. Discretion, which is used in so many other areas, is especially justified here.

Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano, announcing a new policy to defer deportations and grant work permits for some younger undocumented immigrants.

Learn more about the new policy and who will be eligible for to defer their deportation case from the Department of Homeland Security’s official announcement.

Asked by Anonymous

What benefits do immigrants get ?

Immigrants in the United States are entitled to certain benefits through the Department of Homeland Security’s U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). If you are here on a temporary or permanent basis, you may be eligible to apply for naturalization, permanent status, or to work in the United States.

The USCIS can help you find the right forms, see an update on your case if you have applied for citizenship, find out how to bring family to the United States and much more. Their online resources are divided by topics to help you easily find what you are looking for depending on your current situation.

Find out more information at USCIS and what benefits you can get.

A permanent resident is someone who has been granted authorization to live and work in the United States on a permanent basis. As proof of that status, a person is granted a permanent resident card, commonly called a “green card.”

You can become a permanent resident several different ways, such as being sponsored by a family member or employer in the United States. The steps to getting a green card vary depending on which category you fall under.

Learn more about the options and steps to becoming a permanent resident.