Motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of death for children ages 3 -14. This Saturday, you can get a free car seat inspection and hands-on advice about car seat safety at National Seat Check events nationwide.
To help your child stay safe on the road:
- Select a car seat based on your child’s age and size, and choose a seat that fits in your vehicle and use it every time.
- Always refer to your specific car seat manufacturer’s instructions; read the vehicle owner’s manual on how to install the car seat using the seat belt or LATCH system; and check height and weight limits.
- To maximize safety, keep your child in the car seat for as long as possible, as long as the child fits within the manufacturer’s height and weight requirements.
- Keep your child in the back seat at least through age 12.
- Register your car seat with the manufacturer to ensure you are alerted in case of safety alerts or recalls.