News From Our Blog

Service Members and Veterans Can Apply Online for Benefits

eBenefits¬†from the Department of Veterans Affairs and Department of Defense is the place where service members, veterans, and their families can find out what benefits they’re eligible for and apply online.¬†They can also check the status of benefits, access documents, and more.

Learn more about eBenefits and register for an account to apply for benefits today.

Low-Income Families Can Get Help Paying for Phone Service

The Lifeline program helps low-income households get telephone service by providing discounts that average $9.25 a month on one basic phone service (landline or wireless).

In order to enroll in Lifeline, potential subscribers must demonstrate their eligibility by showing proof of income or participation in a qualifying program.

Learn more about Lifeline and find out if you’re eligible.

Sign up to Get Your Federal Benefits Electronically by March 1

If you receive your federal benefits by paper check, you’ll need to switch to electronic payments by March 1, 2013.

The federal benefits affected are:

  • Social Security
  • Supplemental Security Income
  • Veterans Affairs
  • Railroad Retirement Board
  • Office of Personnel Management
  • Department of Labor (Black Lung)

You have two options for receiving benefits electronically:

1. Direct Deposit: The U.S. Treasury deposits your benefits directly into your bank account. You can sign up for direct deposit in one of these ways:

  • Enroll online.
  • Visit your bank or credit union.
  • Call (800) 333-1795 (Mon-Fri, 8am-8pm ET).
  • Contact the local office of the agency providing your federal benefits.
  • Enroll by mail.

2. Prepaid Debit Card: The U.S. Treasury deposits your benefits directly to a debit card. This is an option if you don’t have a bank account and do not want to open one. You can request a debit card by calling (800) 333-1795 (Mon-Fri, 8am-8pm ET).

Be ready with the information you’ll need to set up your federal benefit payments by direct deposit or debit card.

If you have questions, call the Go Direct Helpline at (800) 333-1795.

According to the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation more than 38,000 people haven’t claimed pension money they are owed, ranging in amounts from 12 cents to $1 million.

Find out if you’re owed pension money and learn about the process to get your benefits.

Find out if there is other money the government owes you.

Veterans who served in combat after Nov. 11, 1998 are eligible for extended health care for 5 years post discharge. Learn more about the benefits offered and find out how to apply.