Keep your home free of summer pests without pesticides
Summer temperatures can be pleasant, but the warm weather is also attractive to insects and rodents.
This is the time of year when ants, roaches, mice and other pests make their way into your home, especially if they find the right living conditions. All they really need to get comfortable is water, food and a place where they can hide or reproduce.
You can fight these pests without pesticides if you follow these suggestions:
Restrict access to food sources
- Tightly close any food packaging, like boxes and bags of cookies, chips, cereals or candy, so that ants or roaches can’t get in.
- Store items such as flour, sugar, rice or pasta in airtight bags or plastic containers.
- Clean any food spills or stains off the countertop, floor, and other areas throughout the kitchen.
- Do not let crumbs sit in pet dishes, as this can attract cockroaches, ants or rodents.
- Remember to take out the kitchen trash frequently, preferably every night.
Limit access to sources of water or liquids
- Try not to leave water drops or other liquids in the kitchen or anywhere else around the house. Roaches can’t live more than a week without water.
- Wash and dry your dishes immediately after each meal.
- Repair leaky faucets or pipes in the bathroom, kitchen, backyard and any other area of the house.
- When gardening or watering plants, don’t leave puddles or excess water. Standing water encourages mosquito reproduction.
- Open the bathroom window after bathing to clear out the steam; these tiny drops are drinking sources for cockroaches and other insects.
Limit entry access to your home
- Seal cracks around pipes, doors and windows to stop insects from getting inside.
- Repair holes or tears on screen doors and windows.
- Close off the spaces underneath doors.
- Before coming home from a shopping trip, make sure there are no roaches hiding inside bags or grocery boxes.
- Throw away or recycle unwanted boxes or wrappers.
Put mouse traps inside and outside the home in areas where children or pets can’t access.