Asked by an anonymous Tumblr user.
There are three steps to replacing a Social Security card:
- Gather documents to prove you identity and U.S. citizenship or current work-authorized immigration status.
- Complete an Application for a Social Security Card (PDF).
- Take or mail your completed application and documents to your local Social Security office.
After the Social Security Administration receives your application and verifies your documents, you should receive your replacement Social Security card by mail within 10 business days.
Find out how to verify if a replacement card has been issued.
We welcome your comments if you are 13 or older, and hope that our conversations here will be polite. You are responsible for the content of your comments.
We do not discriminate against any views, but may delete any of the following:
- violent, obscene, profane, hateful, or racist comments
- comments that threaten or harm the reputation of any person or organization
- advertisements or solicitations of any kind
- comments that suggest or encourage illegal activity
- multiple off-topic posts or repetitive posts that are copied and pasted
- personal information including, but not limited to, e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, mailing addresses, or identification numbers
In short: be nice and add to the discussion. If you continually violate this policy, we may limit your ability to comment in the future. If you have any questions or comments about this policy, please e-mail us.