How to Renew Your Passport Book or Card
If you’re thinking about planning a trip abroad over the holidays, you and your family will need to have updated passports.
All individuals, regardless of age, must have their own passport to travel internationally.
Renew your passport approximately nine months before it expires. Certain countries require passports to remain valid for up to six months after your trip. Some airlines do not allow you to board if you don’t meet this requirement.
You cannot renew your passport if any of the following are true, but must apply for a new one in person instead:
- Your current passport was issued before your 16th birthday
- Your current passport was lost or stolen; report the loss or theft
- You meet any other condition that requires you to get a passport in person
Renew your U.S. passport:
- By mail, if you live in the United States or Canada. You must do one of the following:
- Complete the passport application form online and print it
- Download and print Form DS-82 - U.S. Passport Renewal Application (PDF | requires Adobe Reader)
- Get the form at a passport acceptance facility or regional agency and complete it by hand
- Through a U.S. Embassy or Consulate, if you live in any other country
Contact the National Passport Information Center (NPIC) for assistance and/or information: