Image description: The United States Capitol Dome was constructed of cast iron more than 150 years ago. The Dome has not undergone a complete restoration since 1959-1960 and due to age and weather is now plagued by more than 1,000 cracks and deficiencies.
This fall the Architect of the Capitol will begin a multi-year project to remove old paint, repair the cast iron and stone, and repaint the Dome. During the project, a scaffold system will surround the entire Dome. The first photo shows a rendering of the Capitol with the scaffolding in place.
The other photos show examples of the cracks and other repairs needed.
Photos from the Architect of the Capitol.
We welcome your comments if you are 13 or older, and hope that our conversations here will be polite. You are responsible for the content of your comments.
We do not discriminate against any views, but may delete any of the following:
- violent, obscene, profane, hateful, or racist comments
- comments that threaten or harm the reputation of any person or organization
- advertisements or solicitations of any kind
- comments that suggest or encourage illegal activity
- multiple off-topic posts or repetitive posts that are copied and pasted
- personal information including, but not limited to, e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, mailing addresses, or identification numbers
In short: be nice and add to the discussion. If you continually violate this policy, we may limit your ability to comment in the future. If you have any questions or comments about this policy, please e-mail us.