News From Our Blog

Does the Government Owe You Money?

You may have received a tax refund, but there are other ways the government could owe you money or benefits. Knowing where to look and how to proceed if the government does owe you money are your first steps to claiming money and benefits owed to you.

  • Not happy with your tax refund? Make sure to double check that the IRS paid you the correct amount of money owed. If you think it is wrong, you can call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040, and if you’re right, you can earn more money back. Be prepared to fill out another tax form, but for a decent size of cash, it might just be worth it!
  • The Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation says thousands of workers and retirees have unclaimed pensions. Search for your name on their website to make sure you are not owed pension money, which over the years can sometimes add a sizeable amount of money to your yearly income.
  • The federal government offers all types of benefits – such as disability assistance, disaster relief, child care or support and much more. Visit to see the full list of available government benefits and find out how the government can help you make your everyday life just a little bit easier – and cheaper.
  • If your financial institution has been shut down, the FDIC can help you find out if you have unclaimed deposits or dividends. Look to see if you qualify, and if you do, your money could be waiting for you.

Find a full list of ways the government could owe you money and benefits.