Understanding Medicare Drug Costs
The cost of prescription drugs is a concern for many older Americans. Medicare Part D is an optional prescription drug plan that is available to anyone on Medicare. People enrolled in Medicare Part D pay a monthly premium and the program helps cover prescription drug costs. Americans 65 or older, or younger people with certain disabilities, are eligible for Medicare.
Finding a Prescription Plan
There are many prescription drug plans available to people enrolled in Medicare and each plan varies in cost and coverage. Many people still have to pay some of their drug costs out of pocket, even with Part D coverage. Use the Medicare Plan Finder to check prescription plan options.
Lowering Your Cost
There are some ways to lower your drug costs on your own. Talk to your doctor about drugs that cost less, like generics, over-the-counter, or less expensive brand name drugs that could work as well as the ones that you take now. There are also government and private programs that might be able to help you with medical and drug costs.
If you’re not already enrolled in Medicare Part D, joining may help, even if you have to pay a late enrollment penalty.
We welcome your comments if you are 13 or older, and hope that our conversations here will be polite. You are responsible for the content of your comments.
We do not discriminate against any views, but may delete any of the following:
- violent, obscene, profane, hateful, or racist comments
- comments that threaten or harm the reputation of any person or organization
- advertisements or solicitations of any kind
- comments that suggest or encourage illegal activity
- multiple off-topic posts or repetitive posts that are copied and pasted
- personal information including, but not limited to, e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, mailing addresses, or identification numbers
In short: be nice and add to the discussion. If you continually violate this policy, we may limit your ability to comment in the future. If you have any questions or comments about this policy, please e-mail us.