Image description: Recycling and composting helps save natural resources.
- Recycling and composting 87 million tons of municipal solid waste (MSW) saved more than 1.1 quadrillion BTU of energy. That’s the same amount of energy consumer by over 10 million U.S. households in a year.
- Every ton of paper recycled can save the equivalent of 165 gallons of gasoline.
- Recycling 1 ton of aluminum cans conserves over 153 million BTUs equivalent to 26 barrels of oil or 1,665 gallons of gasoline.
Make a difference today! If we all take small steps every day to reduce the amount of waste we produce, we can help protect our planet for generations to come.
For more information, visit www.epa.gov/recycle.
This infographic is based on data from EPA’s 2011 MSW Characterization Report. For more information, see http://1.USA.gov/USmsw.
Check out http://1.USA.gov/mswinfog for the full infographic.
Inforgraphic from the Environmental Protection Agency.
We welcome your comments if you are 13 or older, and hope that our conversations here will be polite. You are responsible for the content of your comments.
We do not discriminate against any views, but may delete any of the following:
- violent, obscene, profane, hateful, or racist comments
- comments that threaten or harm the reputation of any person or organization
- advertisements or solicitations of any kind
- comments that suggest or encourage illegal activity
- multiple off-topic posts or repetitive posts that are copied and pasted
- personal information including, but not limited to, e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, mailing addresses, or identification numbers
In short: be nice and add to the discussion. If you continually violate this policy, we may limit your ability to comment in the future. If you have any questions or comments about this policy, please e-mail us.