Tracking Gulf Oil Spill Clean-Up Efforts
It’s been a year since the BP Deepwater Horizon oil spill devastated communities along the Gulf Coast. The spill affected many aspects of coastal life, like the local economy and safety of the region’s natural resources.
Progress has been made over the past year, but recovery efforts and clean up are ongoing.
You can track the clean-up effort at www.restorethegulf.gov where you can find:
- Information about animals and plant life and the plan to restore natural habitats
- The latest on water and air quality
- Instructions on how to file a claim for individuals and businesses adversely affected by the spill
There is good news coming out of the Gulf: seafood and drinking water are safe to consume. You can still visit these areas to enjoy fishing, boating, and beach activities.
Sign up for email updates if you’d like to stay up to date on restoration efforts.
We welcome your comments if you are 13 or older, and hope that our conversations here will be polite. You are responsible for the content of your comments.
We do not discriminate against any views, but may delete any of the following:
- violent, obscene, profane, hateful, or racist comments
- comments that threaten or harm the reputation of any person or organization
- advertisements or solicitations of any kind
- comments that suggest or encourage illegal activity
- multiple off-topic posts or repetitive posts that are copied and pasted
- personal information including, but not limited to, e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, mailing addresses, or identification numbers
In short: be nice and add to the discussion. If you continually violate this policy, we may limit your ability to comment in the future. If you have any questions or comments about this policy, please e-mail us.