Asked by an anonymous Tumblr user.
We’re sorry for your loss and extend our sincere thanks for your ex-husband’s service.
The Veterans Benefits Administration at the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) handles benefits for spouses, children, and parents of servicemembers and veterans who are deceased or disabled by a service-connected disability.
You may be eligible for the following benefits:
- Survivors’ Pension (sometimes called the Death Pension)
- Dependency and Indemnity Compensation
- Parents’ Dependency and Indemnity Compensation
- Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program
- Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (PDF)
- Home loans
If you have questions about VA benefits for dependents and survivors, call 1-800-827-1000 or send them an e-mail.
We welcome your comments if you are 13 or older, and hope that our conversations here will be polite. You are responsible for the content of your comments.
We do not discriminate against any views, but may delete any of the following:
- violent, obscene, profane, hateful, or racist comments
- comments that threaten or harm the reputation of any person or organization
- advertisements or solicitations of any kind
- comments that suggest or encourage illegal activity
- multiple off-topic posts or repetitive posts that are copied and pasted
- personal information including, but not limited to, e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, mailing addresses, or identification numbers
In short: be nice and add to the discussion. If you continually violate this policy, we may limit your ability to comment in the future. If you have any questions or comments about this policy, please e-mail us.