Special Education for Students with Disabilities
Did you know that more than 6 million children and youth with disabilities receive special education services in the United States?
The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act guarantees appropriate free, public education to all students with disabilities. An individualized education programis developed for each child who is eligible for special education or related services to:
- identify the specific needs of the student to receive a basic education in a public school
- establish the student’s educational goals annually
- determine special services for each school year
If you are the parent or guardian of a child with a disability, ask in advance about the special education process. For advice you can contact the National Dissemination Center for Children with Disabilities. Find more resources for students with disabilities like how to prevent bullying and cyberbullying.
We welcome your comments if you are 13 or older, and hope that our conversations here will be polite. You are responsible for the content of your comments.
We do not discriminate against any views, but may delete any of the following:
- violent, obscene, profane, hateful, or racist comments
- comments that threaten or harm the reputation of any person or organization
- advertisements or solicitations of any kind
- comments that suggest or encourage illegal activity
- multiple off-topic posts or repetitive posts that are copied and pasted
- personal information including, but not limited to, e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, mailing addresses, or identification numbers
In short: be nice and add to the discussion. If you continually violate this policy, we may limit your ability to comment in the future. If you have any questions or comments about this policy, please e-mail us.