Image description: Happy 213th birthday to the Library of Congress! It was established on April 24, 1800.
After the original library was lost to fire during the War of 1812, Congress purchased Thomas Jefferson’s personal library, which became the foundation of the modern Library.
This photo of the main reading room in the Library of Congress Thomas Jefferson Building is from the Library’s Prints and Photographs Division.
We welcome your comments if you are 13 or older, and hope that our conversations here will be polite. You are responsible for the content of your comments.
We do not discriminate against any views, but may delete any of the following:
- violent, obscene, profane, hateful, or racist comments
- comments that threaten or harm the reputation of any person or organization
- advertisements or solicitations of any kind
- comments that suggest or encourage illegal activity
- multiple off-topic posts or repetitive posts that are copied and pasted
- personal information including, but not limited to, e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, mailing addresses, or identification numbers
In short: be nice and add to the discussion. If you continually violate this policy, we may limit your ability to comment in the future. If you have any questions or comments about this policy, please e-mail us.