Image description: On March 10, 1876, Alexander Graham Bell conducted a successful experiment with the telephone. His first conversation was, “Mr. Watson — come here — I want to see you.” This conversation is recorded in the March 10 entry of his Lab Notebook.
In this photo, Bell sits at the New York end of the first long-distance telephone call to Chicago in 1892.
Photo from the Prints and Photographs Division of the Library of Congress.
We welcome your comments if you are 13 or older, and hope that our conversations here will be polite. You are responsible for the content of your comments.
We do not discriminate against any views, but may delete any of the following:
- violent, obscene, profane, hateful, or racist comments
- comments that threaten or harm the reputation of any person or organization
- advertisements or solicitations of any kind
- comments that suggest or encourage illegal activity
- multiple off-topic posts or repetitive posts that are copied and pasted
- personal information including, but not limited to, e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, mailing addresses, or identification numbers
In short: be nice and add to the discussion. If you continually violate this policy, we may limit your ability to comment in the future. If you have any questions or comments about this policy, please e-mail us.