News From Our Blog

How to Get Your Missing W-2 

By now you should have received your Wage and Tax Statements, better known as W-2s, from your employer. You need a W-2 from each of your employers in order to file your 2012 tax returns, which must be filed by April 15th.

If you still haven’t received your W-2 from an employer, the IRS offers these tips on obtaining it before it is too late:

  • First, contact your employer (or former employer) for your W-2. Confirm with them that they have your correct address.
  • If your employer still does not send your W-2, you can contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040. Make sure to have all your personal information and documents on hand before calling, such as your social security number, your employer’s name, address and phone number, employment dates and more.
  • Even if you are missing your W-2, you can still file your 2012 tax returns without one. You can file Form 4852, a substitute for the W-2. On this form you must estimate your income and withholding taxes. It may take longer for the IRS to process your return using this form.

Find the forms and information you need about W-2s.

We welcome your comments if you are 13 or older, and hope that our conversations here will be polite. You are responsible for the content of your comments.

We do not discriminate against any views, but may delete any of the following:

  • violent, obscene, profane, hateful, or racist comments
  • comments that threaten or harm the reputation of any person or organization
  • advertisements or solicitations of any kind
  • comments that suggest or encourage illegal activity
  • multiple off-topic posts or repetitive posts that are copied and pasted
  • personal information including, but not limited to, e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, mailing addresses, or identification numbers

In short: be nice and add to the discussion. If you continually violate this policy, we may limit your ability to comment in the future. If you have any questions or comments about this policy, please e-mail us.