Image description: A scientist from the Minerals Management Service surveys the German U-boat U-701 off the coast of North Carolina as part of the Battle of the Atlantic Expedition.
The expedition was the first part of a larger multi-year project to research and document a number of historically significant shipwrecks tragically lost during WWII.
The project is dedicated to raising awareness of the war that was fought so close to the American coastline and to preserving our nation’s maritime history.
Photo from the National Ocean and Atmospheric Administration
We welcome your comments if you are 13 or older, and hope that our conversations here will be polite. You are responsible for the content of your comments.
We do not discriminate against any views, but may delete any of the following:
- violent, obscene, profane, hateful, or racist comments
- comments that threaten or harm the reputation of any person or organization
- advertisements or solicitations of any kind
- comments that suggest or encourage illegal activity
- multiple off-topic posts or repetitive posts that are copied and pasted
- personal information including, but not limited to, e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, mailing addresses, or identification numbers
In short: be nice and add to the discussion. If you continually violate this policy, we may limit your ability to comment in the future. If you have any questions or comments about this policy, please e-mail us.