Sign up to Get Your Federal Benefits Electronically by March 1
If you receive your federal benefits by paper check, you’ll need to switch to electronic payments by March 1, 2013.
The federal benefits affected are:
- Social Security
- Supplemental Security Income
- Veterans Affairs
- Railroad Retirement Board
- Office of Personnel Management
- Department of Labor (Black Lung)
You have two options for receiving benefits electronically:
1. Direct Deposit: The U.S. Treasury deposits your benefits directly into your bank account. You can sign up for direct deposit in one of these ways:
- Enroll online.
- Visit your bank or credit union.
- Call (800) 333-1795 (Mon-Fri, 8am-8pm ET).
- Contact the local office of the agency providing your federal benefits.
- Enroll by mail.
2. Prepaid Debit Card: The U.S. Treasury deposits your benefits directly to a debit card. This is an option if you don’t have a bank account and do not want to open one. You can request a debit card by calling (800) 333-1795 (Mon-Fri, 8am-8pm ET).
If you have questions, call the Go Direct Helpline at (800) 333-1795.