Donated supplies fill a hangar prior to being airlifted to areas in Japan affected by the recent 9.0 magnitude earthquake and subsequent tsunami. Atsugi base residents have donated more than 8,000 pounds of items, ranging from food to blankets, since the earthquake to provide disaster relief and humanitarian assistance to Japan as directed in support of Operation Tomodachi. (U.S. Navy photo by Chief Mass Communication Specialist Jonathan Kulp/Released)
See more photos from Operation Tomodachi, the U.S. Navy’s disaster relief mission following the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami. Tomodachi is Japanese for friend.
We welcome your comments if you are 13 or older, and hope that our conversations here will be polite. You are responsible for the content of your comments.
We do not discriminate against any views, but may delete any of the following:
- violent, obscene, profane, hateful, or racist comments
- comments that threaten or harm the reputation of any person or organization
- advertisements or solicitations of any kind
- comments that suggest or encourage illegal activity
- multiple off-topic posts or repetitive posts that are copied and pasted
- personal information including, but not limited to, e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, mailing addresses, or identification numbers
In short: be nice and add to the discussion. If you continually violate this policy, we may limit your ability to comment in the future. If you have any questions or comments about this policy, please e-mail us.