Image description: Six-year-old Andean bear, Billie Jean, gave birth to cubs early this morning. The first cub was born at 12:01 a.m. and the second at 2:02 a.m.
The Andean bear population in human care has experienced a lull in the past six years. These new cubs are the only surviving Andean bear cubs in a North American Zoo since Billie Jean’s first cubs, Bernardo and Chaska, were born.
Photo from the Smithsonian’s National Zoo
We welcome your comments if you are 13 or older, and hope that our conversations here will be polite. You are responsible for the content of your comments.
We do not discriminate against any views, but may delete any of the following:
- violent, obscene, profane, hateful, or racist comments
- comments that threaten or harm the reputation of any person or organization
- advertisements or solicitations of any kind
- comments that suggest or encourage illegal activity
- multiple off-topic posts or repetitive posts that are copied and pasted
- personal information including, but not limited to, e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, mailing addresses, or identification numbers
In short: be nice and add to the discussion. If you continually violate this policy, we may limit your ability to comment in the future. If you have any questions or comments about this policy, please e-mail us.