Tsunami Warning for Western United States
An 8.9 magnitude earthquake hit off the coast of Japan Friday setting off a tsunami in Japan and tsunami warnings along the west coast of the United States and Hawaii.
If you’re in Hawaii, you can find a list of evacuation centers and refuge sites (PDF) to go for safety.
Tsunami waves are expected to hit the coasts of California, Oregon, Washington and Alaska later this morning.
Estimated times waves could reach major cities:
- Juneau, Alaska - 5:43 a.m.
- Fort Bragg, California - 7:28 a.m.
- Newport, Oregon, 7:33 a.m.
- San Francisco, California - 8:16 a.m.
- Seattle, Washington - 8:51 a.m.
To get information on the whereabouts of American citizens in Japan you can call 888-407-4747 from the United States or Canada and 202-501-4444 from other parts of the world.
You can find more information about the earthquake and tsunamis from the State Department.
We welcome your comments if you are 13 or older, and hope that our conversations here will be polite. You are responsible for the content of your comments.
We do not discriminate against any views, but may delete any of the following:
- violent, obscene, profane, hateful, or racist comments
- comments that threaten or harm the reputation of any person or organization
- advertisements or solicitations of any kind
- comments that suggest or encourage illegal activity
- multiple off-topic posts or repetitive posts that are copied and pasted
- personal information including, but not limited to, e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, mailing addresses, or identification numbers
In short: be nice and add to the discussion. If you continually violate this policy, we may limit your ability to comment in the future. If you have any questions or comments about this policy, please e-mail us.