Look for USA.gov Short URLs
If you use Twitter, you may have noticed a lot of tweets with 1.USA.gov URLs in them over the past week. Those are the result of a new service that we created with bit.ly, the popular URL shortening service. Now, whenever anyone uses bit.ly to shorten a URL that ends in .gov or .mil, they will receive a 1.USA.gov URL in return.
This makes it easier for people know when they encounter links to official government information on Twitter and other services where people use short URLs. You can be certain that every time you see a short URL with USA.gov in it, it will take you to a trustworthy source of official government information.
Another great thing about this service is that every click on a 1.USA.gov URL gets counted, which allows us to see what government information people are choosing to share and click on. Here’s a list of the most popular popular government URLs from the past week:
- 4,592 clicks — NASA - Dallas Family’s Tradition Boosts NASA for 100 Flights
- 3,593 clicks — NASA - ‘Elephant Trunks’ in Space
- 3,531 clicks — NASA - Multimedia - Video Gallery
- 3,239 clicks — Air Force officials identify Frankfurt Airport shooting deaths
- 3,160 clicks — Human Space Flight (HSF) - Realtime Data
- 2,901 clicks — Magnitude 6.6 - SOLOMON ISLANDS
- 1,979 clicks — NASA - Captured From the Ground
- 1,915 clicks — Air Force Week in Photos
- 1,720 clicks — PDF of presentation by Rep Paul Ryan
- 1,702 clicks — NASA - Anchored
We’ll be sharing information on popular links more regularly in the future. We hope you find them interesting and useful.