How to Increase Your Car’s Fuel Efficiency
You’ve probably noticed the steep increase in gas prices over the past week. Nationwide, drivers have seen average gas prices of $3.38 per gallon, similar to what we normally see in the peak of the summer driving season. The price increases are a result of the unrest in Libya and the Middle East.
This sudden jump in prices is causing people across the country to examine their driving behavior. This may be a great reason to look into buying a more fuel efficient or hybrid vehicle. Even if you aren’t in the market for a new car right now, here are some tips to increase your car’s fuel efficiency and get the most for your gasoline dollar:
- Drive sensibly - Aggressive driving, such as speeding, rapid acceleration and braking, wastes gas.
- Combine trips when possible - Several short trips starting from a cold engine can use twice as much fuel as longer multi-purpose trips when the engine is warm.
- Observe the speed limit - Gas mileage usually decreases at speeds above 60 mph
- Remove excess weight - Avoid keeping unnecessary items in your vehicle. The reduction of an extra 100 lbs could increase your mileage by 2%
- Carpool or take public transportation - You can save by taking turns driving with other commuters
For more information about saving money at the pump, visit fueleconomy.gov.
We welcome your comments if you are 13 or older, and hope that our conversations here will be polite. You are responsible for the content of your comments.
We do not discriminate against any views, but may delete any of the following:
- violent, obscene, profane, hateful, or racist comments
- comments that threaten or harm the reputation of any person or organization
- advertisements or solicitations of any kind
- comments that suggest or encourage illegal activity
- multiple off-topic posts or repetitive posts that are copied and pasted
- personal information including, but not limited to, e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, mailing addresses, or identification numbers
In short: be nice and add to the discussion. If you continually violate this policy, we may limit your ability to comment in the future. If you have any questions or comments about this policy, please e-mail us.