What Are the Leading Causes of Death for Americans?
You can use these charts from the Centers for Disease Control to better understand risks to your health.
- This grid shows the top ten causes of death for Americans in ten different age groups in 2009. For example, the number one leading cause of death of Americans aged 1 to 44 is unintentional injury.
- This similar ten by ten grid shows the leading causes of death by unintentional injury. The overall most common cause of unintentional injury death is motor vehicle traffic accidents.
We welcome your comments if you are 13 or older, and hope that our conversations here will be polite. You are responsible for the content of your comments.
We do not discriminate against any views, but may delete any of the following:
- violent, obscene, profane, hateful, or racist comments
- comments that threaten or harm the reputation of any person or organization
- advertisements or solicitations of any kind
- comments that suggest or encourage illegal activity
- multiple off-topic posts or repetitive posts that are copied and pasted
- personal information including, but not limited to, e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, mailing addresses, or identification numbers
In short: be nice and add to the discussion. If you continually violate this policy, we may limit your ability to comment in the future. If you have any questions or comments about this policy, please e-mail us.