Know What an Employer Looks At When You Apply for a Job
When you apply for a job, your potential employer will look at the application you complete as well as the resume you submit.
They can also request a background report, which includes information about your credit history, criminal record and driving record. This can only be done with your permission, however, if you refuse, you might not be hired.
So before you apply to a job, you should get a copy of your credit report so you know what any potential employer might see. If there’s incorrect information, you can correct it. You can also be ready to explain any negative information to your potential employer. You can get a free credit report by visiting annualcreditreport.com.
Many employers will also look you up online. They can see any public information on social networking sites or other public information that comes up attached to your name. Make sure you search for yourself online so you see what potential employers might find. If you have inappropriate content posted on any of your social profiles, you might want to delete it or make it private.
We welcome your comments if you are 13 or older, and hope that our conversations here will be polite. You are responsible for the content of your comments.
We do not discriminate against any views, but may delete any of the following:
- violent, obscene, profane, hateful, or racist comments
- comments that threaten or harm the reputation of any person or organization
- advertisements or solicitations of any kind
- comments that suggest or encourage illegal activity
- multiple off-topic posts or repetitive posts that are copied and pasted
- personal information including, but not limited to, e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, mailing addresses, or identification numbers
In short: be nice and add to the discussion. If you continually violate this policy, we may limit your ability to comment in the future. If you have any questions or comments about this policy, please e-mail us.