Learn About Your Health Insurance Options and How to Pick a Plan
When you’re selecting a health insurance plan, you’ll want to consider more than just the cost. Here are some common questions you should ask yourself when looking at your options:
- Do I have the right to go to any doctor, hospital, clinic or pharmacy I choose?
- Are specialists such as eye doctors and dentists covered?
- Does the plan cover special conditions or treatments such as pregnancy, psychiatric care and physical therapy?
- Does the plan cover home care or nursing home care?
- Will the plan cover all medications my physician might prescribe?
- What are the deductibles? Are there any co-payments?
- What is the most I will have to pay out of my own pocket to cover expenses?
- If there is a dispute about a bill or service, how is it handled? In some plans, you may be required to have a third-party decide how to settle the problem.
If you’re between jobs, you have option of extending your employer’s health care through COBRA. This publication explains your rights under COBRA.