Asked by Anonymous
how do i check a doctors work history.
There isn’t a single location where you can check a doctor’s entire work history. However, with a little time and these tools, you can get a better picture to make informed choices about your medical care.
You can compare medical training, clinical specialties, and more for doctors who accept Medicare using Medicare’s Physician Compare Tool.
You can also find information about training, specialties, and board certification for many doctors licensed in the U.S. with the American Medical Association Doctor Finder.
State medical boards are a good source of information about doctors. In some states, information is available from the Administrators in Medicine, a group of state medical board directors.
The American Board of Medical Specialties can tell you if a doctor is board certified. While board certification is a good measure of a doctor’s knowledge, it is possible to receive quality care from doctors who are not board certified.
In addition, feel free to ask the doctor directly about their work history, for example, the number of times they have successfully performed a procedure.
We welcome your comments if you are 13 or older, and hope that our conversations here will be polite. You are responsible for the content of your comments.
We do not discriminate against any views, but may delete any of the following:
- violent, obscene, profane, hateful, or racist comments
- comments that threaten or harm the reputation of any person or organization
- advertisements or solicitations of any kind
- comments that suggest or encourage illegal activity
- multiple off-topic posts or repetitive posts that are copied and pasted
- personal information including, but not limited to, e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, mailing addresses, or identification numbers
In short: be nice and add to the discussion. If you continually violate this policy, we may limit your ability to comment in the future. If you have any questions or comments about this policy, please e-mail us.