Know Your Disability Insurance Options To Protect Your Family
Disability insurance provides income for you and your family in the case you are unable to work because of illness or injury. Although many people think it is unlikely something will happen to them, loss of income can lead to bankruptcy, home foreclosure and other financial troubles.
May is recognized as Disability Insurance Awareness Month. While some employers do offer disability insurance options, more than 70 percent of employers do not offer long-term disability coverage, according to the the U.S. Department of Labor.
Check with your employer to see what options they offer, and if their plan would cover your monthly expenses, or if you need a separate insurance option to keep you and your family financially safe. Be prepared and check with your local and state resources on getting financial aid and insurance before something happens.
We welcome your comments if you are 13 or older, and hope that our conversations here will be polite. You are responsible for the content of your comments.
We do not discriminate against any views, but may delete any of the following:
- violent, obscene, profane, hateful, or racist comments
- comments that threaten or harm the reputation of any person or organization
- advertisements or solicitations of any kind
- comments that suggest or encourage illegal activity
- multiple off-topic posts or repetitive posts that are copied and pasted
- personal information including, but not limited to, e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, mailing addresses, or identification numbers
In short: be nice and add to the discussion. If you continually violate this policy, we may limit your ability to comment in the future. If you have any questions or comments about this policy, please e-mail us.