Get Moving During National Physical Fitness and Sports Month
As the weather gets nicer in May, it’s the perfect time to get outdoors to celebrate National Physical Fitness and Sports Month. Spend some time this month enjoying the warmer weather while sneaking in extra physical activity.
Exercise doesn’t have to be boring. You can play games with your family like wiffle ball, tag and capture the flag. Go to a local park or use your backyard to run around with your kids. Before you know it, you’ll have met the daily guidelines of 60 minutes of movement for kids and 30 minutes for adults.
Look to your state tourism office or your local department of parks and recreation to learn about active events going on in your area. You may be able to find sports teams for your children to play on or adult recreational leagues for yourself.
No one wants to get hurt and have to spend time on the sidelines. But if you do end up with an injury, learn the best at-home treatments and when you should call in the professionals. You’ll also find tips on how to prevent more injuries in the future.
You can find more ideas to get you and your family moving at LetsMove.gov.
We welcome your comments if you are 13 or older, and hope that our conversations here will be polite. You are responsible for the content of your comments.
We do not discriminate against any views, but may delete any of the following:
- violent, obscene, profane, hateful, or racist comments
- comments that threaten or harm the reputation of any person or organization
- advertisements or solicitations of any kind
- comments that suggest or encourage illegal activity
- multiple off-topic posts or repetitive posts that are copied and pasted
- personal information including, but not limited to, e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, mailing addresses, or identification numbers
In short: be nice and add to the discussion. If you continually violate this policy, we may limit your ability to comment in the future. If you have any questions or comments about this policy, please e-mail us.