Look Up Soldiers and Explore Civil War History on New Website
The American Civil War is one of the defining moments in United States’ history. In commemoration of the lives lost and the battles fought, the National Park Service (NPS) created a new website highlight various aspects of the war. You can now find a detailed timeline of events from 1861-1865.
As brothers fought brothers in this deadly war, many lives were lost and families divided. You can search a soldier and sailor database of over 6 million records to find information on your ancestors or famous soldiers on either side of the battle. The NPS also highlights many key issues and events that lead to the start of the war. You can also find, view and plan visits to Civil War battlefields across the United States.
For a more modern twist on the Civil War, follow the Civil War Reporter for interesting Civil War facts and information on Twitter at @CivilWarReportr.
We welcome your comments if you are 13 or older, and hope that our conversations here will be polite. You are responsible for the content of your comments.
We do not discriminate against any views, but may delete any of the following:
- violent, obscene, profane, hateful, or racist comments
- comments that threaten or harm the reputation of any person or organization
- advertisements or solicitations of any kind
- comments that suggest or encourage illegal activity
- multiple off-topic posts or repetitive posts that are copied and pasted
- personal information including, but not limited to, e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, mailing addresses, or identification numbers
In short: be nice and add to the discussion. If you continually violate this policy, we may limit your ability to comment in the future. If you have any questions or comments about this policy, please e-mail us.