Image description: This infographic shows a breakdown of what the average American household buys, based on data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics for December 2011.
Housing costs made up 41 percent of spending, with food, healthcare and transportation costs also accounting for a large portion of spending.
Clothes and entertainment made up the smallest percentage of overall spending.
Infographic from Lam Thuy Vo / Planet Money
We welcome your comments if you are 13 or older, and hope that our conversations here will be polite. You are responsible for the content of your comments.
We do not discriminate against any views, but may delete any of the following:
- violent, obscene, profane, hateful, or racist comments
- comments that threaten or harm the reputation of any person or organization
- advertisements or solicitations of any kind
- comments that suggest or encourage illegal activity
- multiple off-topic posts or repetitive posts that are copied and pasted
- personal information including, but not limited to, e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, mailing addresses, or identification numbers
In short: be nice and add to the discussion. If you continually violate this policy, we may limit your ability to comment in the future. If you have any questions or comments about this policy, please e-mail us.