Image description: April is Jazz Appreciation Month. These photos of celebrated jazz artists were taken during the “golden age” of jazz, between 1938 and 1947, primarily in New York City and Washington, D.C. by William P. Gottlieb.
The top left photo is of Dardanelle, a female percussionist. Next to it is a portrait of Duke Ellington.
The bottom left photo is of Sidney Bechet, Freddie Moore, and Lloyd Phillips playing at Jimmy Ryan’s club. The bottom right photo is of Ella Fitzgerald.
Photos from the William P. Gottlieb Collection at the Library of Congress
We welcome your comments if you are 13 or older, and hope that our conversations here will be polite. You are responsible for the content of your comments.
We do not discriminate against any views, but may delete any of the following:
- violent, obscene, profane, hateful, or racist comments
- comments that threaten or harm the reputation of any person or organization
- advertisements or solicitations of any kind
- comments that suggest or encourage illegal activity
- multiple off-topic posts or repetitive posts that are copied and pasted
- personal information including, but not limited to, e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, mailing addresses, or identification numbers
In short: be nice and add to the discussion. If you continually violate this policy, we may limit your ability to comment in the future. If you have any questions or comments about this policy, please e-mail us.