Bicentennial Coins Honor the Star Spangled Banner
The U.S. Mint is honoring the 200th anniversary of the Star Spangled Banner by issuing commemorative coins that include an image of ships at war that match the scene in 1812 when Francis Scott Key penned the national anthem. Key wrote the national anthem the morning after the British bombarded the Americans at Fort McHenry in Baltimore, during the War of 1812.
Up to 100,000 gold $5 coins and 500,000 silver $1 coins will be issued to mark the anniversary. You can purchase the gold coins for $35 each. The silver coins are $10 each.
We welcome your comments if you are 13 or older, and hope that our conversations here will be polite. You are responsible for the content of your comments.
We do not discriminate against any views, but may delete any of the following:
- violent, obscene, profane, hateful, or racist comments
- comments that threaten or harm the reputation of any person or organization
- advertisements or solicitations of any kind
- comments that suggest or encourage illegal activity
- multiple off-topic posts or repetitive posts that are copied and pasted
- personal information including, but not limited to, e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, mailing addresses, or identification numbers
In short: be nice and add to the discussion. If you continually violate this policy, we may limit your ability to comment in the future. If you have any questions or comments about this policy, please e-mail us.