How to Check the Status of Your Tax Refund
Last fall, we challenged you to create videos that answer common questions about government benefits and services. Here’s one of the winners of the contest. View all of the winning videos, submissions and contest rules at faq.challenge.gov.
So you filed your federal income tax return. You’ve been thinking about all of the super cool stuff you could buy with your refund for weeks now, but it’s been a while, and for you, patience was never a virtue. So how do you check the status of your cash?
Well, there are two super simple ways to do this. If you filed your tax return online, you’ll be able to check out the status of your refund 72 hours after the IRS acknowledges that they’ve received it. After that, you can go to IRS.gov to check out your refund status.
If you sent your return the ol’ fashioned way, either through the mail or in person, you’ll be able to get the info on your return in about three to four weeks. To check your refund status, you can give the IRS Refund Hotline a ring and dial 1 (800) 829-1954.
After that, you’ll get your cash, and you’ll get to spend it on that super awesome thing you’ve had your eye on. …or save it for something even more awesome.
Get more information to answer your government questions at USA.gov.
We welcome your comments if you are 13 or older, and hope that our conversations here will be polite. You are responsible for the content of your comments.
We do not discriminate against any views, but may delete any of the following:
- violent, obscene, profane, hateful, or racist comments
- comments that threaten or harm the reputation of any person or organization
- advertisements or solicitations of any kind
- comments that suggest or encourage illegal activity
- multiple off-topic posts or repetitive posts that are copied and pasted
- personal information including, but not limited to, e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, mailing addresses, or identification numbers
In short: be nice and add to the discussion. If you continually violate this policy, we may limit your ability to comment in the future. If you have any questions or comments about this policy, please e-mail us.