Asked by Anonymous
How can citizens recall a congress person
Citizens cannot recall a U.S. Senator or Representative because the ability to remove a member of Congress was not written into the Constitution. The Constitution describes the term length and the courts have said that no action by a state or citizen can override it.
However, there is one way for a U.S. Senator or Representative to be terminated before the end of the normal term. Other members of the House or Senate, whichever body the member of Congress belongs to, can remove a fellow member by a two-thirds vote. This process is called “expulsion” and it’s outlined in the Constitution.
To learn more about how to remove a member of Congress, download this report from the Congressional Research Service (PDF).
We welcome your comments if you are 13 or older, and hope that our conversations here will be polite. You are responsible for the content of your comments.
We do not discriminate against any views, but may delete any of the following:
- violent, obscene, profane, hateful, or racist comments
- comments that threaten or harm the reputation of any person or organization
- advertisements or solicitations of any kind
- comments that suggest or encourage illegal activity
- multiple off-topic posts or repetitive posts that are copied and pasted
- personal information including, but not limited to, e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, mailing addresses, or identification numbers
In short: be nice and add to the discussion. If you continually violate this policy, we may limit your ability to comment in the future. If you have any questions or comments about this policy, please e-mail us.