Apply Now for Federal Student Aid
Do you need help paying for college? If you do, it’s time to apply for financial aid. Almost all two- and four-year colleges, universities and career schools use the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form to award federal student aid, and most state and college financial aid.
Federal student aid covers expenses such as tuition, fees, room and board, books, supplies and transportation. Aid also can help pay for a computer and for dependent care.
There are three categories of federal student aid:
- Grants: Funds that don’t have to be repaid
- Work-study: A part-time work program to earn money while you’re in school
- Loans: Funds that must be repaid with interest
It’s a good idea to apply for federal aid before other sources, because federal loans usually offer lower interest rates, and have more flexible repayment options than loans from banks or other private sources. Your school’s financial aid office is the best place to learn about the full range of financial aid available to you.
We welcome your comments if you are 13 or older, and hope that our conversations here will be polite. You are responsible for the content of your comments.
We do not discriminate against any views, but may delete any of the following:
- violent, obscene, profane, hateful, or racist comments
- comments that threaten or harm the reputation of any person or organization
- advertisements or solicitations of any kind
- comments that suggest or encourage illegal activity
- multiple off-topic posts or repetitive posts that are copied and pasted
- personal information including, but not limited to, e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, mailing addresses, or identification numbers
In short: be nice and add to the discussion. If you continually violate this policy, we may limit your ability to comment in the future. If you have any questions or comments about this policy, please e-mail us.