Asked by Anonymous
what can i do, since i did not register for selective services, and need money for my education
Most men between the ages of 18-25 must register with the Selective Service in order to be eligible to receive federal student aid and grants, including college work study.
Registration is the law. A man who fails to register may, if prosecuted and convicted, face a fine of up to $250,000 and/or a prison term of up to five years. Late registrations are accepted, but not once a man reaches age 26. Men who do not register within the 60-day window are technically in violation of the law and should register as soon as possible.
If you register, you will not be automatically inducted into the military. In the event of a crisis that requires a draft, men would be called in a sequence determined by random lottery number and year of birth and then examined before being exempted or inducted into military service.
In order to receive any money from the government for education, you must register for the selective service. You can register for the Selective Service online, by filling out a card at your local post office, or by checking the box on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
We welcome your comments if you are 13 or older, and hope that our conversations here will be polite. You are responsible for the content of your comments.
We do not discriminate against any views, but may delete any of the following:
- violent, obscene, profane, hateful, or racist comments
- comments that threaten or harm the reputation of any person or organization
- advertisements or solicitations of any kind
- comments that suggest or encourage illegal activity
- multiple off-topic posts or repetitive posts that are copied and pasted
- personal information including, but not limited to, e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, mailing addresses, or identification numbers
In short: be nice and add to the discussion. If you continually violate this policy, we may limit your ability to comment in the future. If you have any questions or comments about this policy, please e-mail us.