News From Our Blog


Asked by Anonymous

what can i do, since i did not register for selective services, and need money for my education

Most men between the ages of 18-25 must register with the Selective Service in order to be eligible to receive federal student aid and grants, including college work study.

Registration is the law. A man who fails to register may, if prosecuted and convicted, face a fine of up to $250,000 and/or a prison term of up to five years. Late registrations are accepted, but not once a man reaches age 26. Men who do not register within the 60-day window are technically in violation of the law and should register as soon as possible.

If you register, you will not be automatically inducted into the military. In the event of a crisis that requires a draft, men would be called in a sequence determined by random lottery number and year of birth and then examined before being exempted or inducted into military service.

In order to receive any money from the government for education, you must register for the selective service. You can register for the Selective Service online, by filling out a card at your local post office, or by checking the box on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Learn more about how to register, who is required to register, and what happens in a draft.