Asked by Anonymous
why was the pyramid changed to a plate?
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) replaced the food pyramid with MyPlate when they released the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. The USDA must release new Dietary Guidelines every 5 years and the changes led to the switch from the pyramid to the plate.
The new plate shows the five food groups that are the building blocks for a healthy diet and encourages us to think about what goes on our plates before we eat it.
To learn more about building a healthy plate, physical activity, or weight management, visit choosemyplate.gov.
We welcome your comments if you are 13 or older, and hope that our conversations here will be polite. You are responsible for the content of your comments.
We do not discriminate against any views, but may delete any of the following:
- violent, obscene, profane, hateful, or racist comments
- comments that threaten or harm the reputation of any person or organization
- advertisements or solicitations of any kind
- comments that suggest or encourage illegal activity
- multiple off-topic posts or repetitive posts that are copied and pasted
- personal information including, but not limited to, e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, mailing addresses, or identification numbers
In short: be nice and add to the discussion. If you continually violate this policy, we may limit your ability to comment in the future. If you have any questions or comments about this policy, please e-mail us.