Image description: In 1914, Hank Gowdy, star of baseball’s Boston Braves, takes a practice swing in this glass negative image from the Library of Congress. The baseball playoffs are now in full swing. Though neither the Boston Red Sox nor the Atlanta Braves could maintain their great September leads and make the playoffs, in 1914, Gowdy led the Boston Braves from last place on the Fourth of July to a World Series title in October.
Image from the Library of Congress.
We welcome your comments if you are 13 or older, and hope that our conversations here will be polite. You are responsible for the content of your comments.
We do not discriminate against any views, but may delete any of the following:
- violent, obscene, profane, hateful, or racist comments
- comments that threaten or harm the reputation of any person or organization
- advertisements or solicitations of any kind
- comments that suggest or encourage illegal activity
- multiple off-topic posts or repetitive posts that are copied and pasted
- personal information including, but not limited to, e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, mailing addresses, or identification numbers
In short: be nice and add to the discussion. If you continually violate this policy, we may limit your ability to comment in the future. If you have any questions or comments about this policy, please e-mail us.